Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Ireland in Coryell County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Site of the Ireland School

 
 
Site of the Ireland School Texas Historical Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, December 1, 2014
1. Site of the Ireland School Texas Historical Marker
Inscription.  School classes were first conducted in a church tabernacle when Ireland was founded in 1911. The town was platted on the Coryell-Hamilton County line and named for Texas Governor John Ireland (1827-1896). A wooden frame school was erected in 1914, and in 1921 five acres were purchased at this site for a new two-story brick school building. Peak enrollment occurred in 1940 when thirty students graduated. All grades were taught here until 1943 when high school classes moved to the Jonesboro and Evant Schools. This school closed in 1964, and the building was demolished in 1984.
Texas Sesquicentennial 1836 - 1986

 
Erected 1986 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 2651.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1911.
 
Location. 31° 34.24′ N, 97° 58.059′ W. Marker is in Ireland, Texas, in Coryell County. Marker is at the intersection of Farm to Market Road 932 and Rice Road, on the left when traveling north on Route 932. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Jonesboro TX 76538, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers.
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Purmela Baptist Church (approx. 6.2 miles away); Jonesboro Methodist Church (approx. 6.2 miles away); Wood Cemetery (approx. 6.7 miles away); Smith Cemetery Memorial (approx. 7.6 miles away); John Raney Bertrand (approx. 7.7 miles away); Pearl Cemetery (approx. 11.7 miles away); Pearl Church of Christ (approx. 11.8 miles away); Pearl Methodist Church (approx. 11.8 miles away).
 
Site of the Ireland School Marker vicinity image. Click for full size.
Photographed By QuesterMark, December 1, 2014
2. Site of the Ireland School Marker vicinity
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on February 16, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 625 times since then and 34 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on February 16, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=71782

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
This website earns income from purchases you make after using our links to Amazon.com. We appreciate your support.
Paid Advertisement
Apr. 24, 2024