Blue Springs in Barbour County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Pea River Electric Membership Corporation
Rural members of Barbour, Dale and Henry counties gathered on this bridge to witness the beginning of electric service into their rural areas when 301 homes and businesses received power for the first time. The organizing directors were S.K. Adams, J.G. Sanders, Lloyd Smith, J.Y. Johnston, L.A. Pitts, R. W. Ward, and H.J. Thompson. Corporation attorney was P. C. Clayton; manager was A.B. Robertson, Sr. The co-op’s name was changed to the Pea River Electric Cooperative on June 10, 1940.
Erected 1985 by the Pea River Electric Cooperative Inc.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Waterways & Vessels. In addition, it is included in the Rural Electrification 💡 series list. A significant historical month for this entry is May 1914.
Location. 31° 39.83′ N, 85° 30.333′ W. Marker Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2571 Alabama 10, Clio AL 36017, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 8 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Blue Springs School 1920-1969 (approx. one mile away); Bethel Primitive Baptist Church (approx. 1.8 miles away); Peniel Baptist Church (approx. 3.7 miles away); Salem Baptist Church (approx. 4.8 miles away); Clio, Alabama (approx. 6.9 miles away); Clio Heritage Mural (approx. 6.9 miles away); Barbour County High School (approx. 7 miles away); Morgan Baptist Church / Church Pastors (approx. 7½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Blue Springs.
Credits. This page was last revised on March 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on February 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 937 times since then and 94 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 17, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.