Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Chapel of the Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary in the Temple
From 1808 to 1809, the basement chapel was used by Mother Elizabeth Seton: in this chapel, she and her followers took their first vows. In 1829, the Oblate Sisters of Providence were founded here by Father Jourbert.
In 1916, the interior of the main chapel was remodeled - the altar was moved further back into the apse; tile flooring and oak pews were installed in the nave. At the same time, the chapel's steeple was removed.
In 1959-1960, the chapel was exteriorly renovated by James Cox & Son, Inc.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Notable Buildings.
Location. 39° 17.739′ N, 76° 37.416′ W. Marker is in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker can be reached from North Paca Street. Marker is in front of St. Mary's Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 600 North Paca Street, Baltimore MD 21201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. St. Mary's Seminary (here, next to this marker); St. Mary's Seminary Chapel (a few steps from this marker); Mother Seton House (within shouting distance of this marker); Orchard Street Church (about 700 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Oblate Sisters of Providence (about 700 feet away); Take a Stroll Down the Main Street of the African American Experience (approx. 0.2 miles away); John Eager Howard (approx. 0.2 miles away); Monument Place (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baltimore.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 17, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,189 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 17, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.