San Angelo in Tom Green County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Orient-Santa Fe Passenger Depot
The Kansas City, Mexico, and Orient Railway Company (KCM&O) built this depot in 1909-10. The KCM&O was one of three connecting railroads promoted by mining and railroad entrepreneur Arthur E. Stilwell. The proposed rail system ran 1,600 miles from Kansas City, Missouri, to Topolabampo, Mexico, the Pacific port nearest the U.S. Midwest. However, the route was never fully completed. San Angelo won a bitter contest over Sweetwater to become a major station on Stilwell’s international rail system. This was the largest of the company’s depots, and it also served as headquarters for their state offices.
The KCM&O Engineering Department designed the depot; most drawings bear the name or initials of Albert T. Camfield. The depot is a large, two-story rectangular plan structure with a bell-hipped tile roof, deep overhangs, and dormers on the street façade. Red brick walls are accented by cast stone detailing. Square posts support a one-story hipped-roof canopy and covered entrance on three sides. A square projecting tower with pyramidal roof on the track side housed the dispatcher. The first floor contained the segregated waiting rooms,
Although the KCM&O struggled in early years, the discovery of oil in west Texas in the early 1920s led to higher company profits and capital improvements. The Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway Company purchased the KCM&O in 1928. By 1989, the Santa Fe announced plans to raze the freight and passenger depots. Citizens initiated a successful campaign to preserve and rehabilitate the buildings as a senior services center and railroad museum.
Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Erected 2008 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 15218.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Communications • Industry & Commerce • Man-Made Features • Railroads & Streetcars. In addition, it is included in the Atchison, Topeka and Santa Fe Railway series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1928.
Location. 31° 27.252′ N, 100° 26.079′ W. Marker is in San Angelo, Texas, in Tom Green County. Marker is at the intersection of Chadbourne Street and Hardeman Pass, on the right when traveling south on Chadbourne Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 703 South Chadbourne Street, San Angelo TX 76903, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers Early Public Transportation in San Angelo (within shouting distance of this marker); Orient-Santa Fe Freight Depot (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Municipal Swimming Pool (approx. 0.2 miles away); Fort Concho (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Tenth Cavalry (approx. 0.2 miles away); E. H. Danner (approx. ¼ mile away); Construction of the Fort (approx. 0.3 miles away); H. C. Wendland Building (approx. 0.4 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in San Angelo.
Also see . . .
1. History of San Angelo Railroading (Railway Museum of San Angelo). (Submitted on February 20, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. Kansas City, Mexico and Orient Railway. (Submitted on February 20, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
3. KCM&O Records at Missouri Valley Special Collections, Kansas City Public Library. (Submitted on February 20, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 20, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 473 times since then and 8 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on February 20, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. 4. submitted on January 4, 2019, by Brian Anderson of Kingwood, Texas.