Ferndale in Humboldt County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
The Gazebo was built for Hon. George W. Williams by master carpenter and architect of the building T.J. Frost. The Red Star clothing store occupied the building until 1935. In 1946 Elmo Reidy purchased the building from Hon. George W. Williams and remodeled the interior into a candy and ice cream shop. The building remained a Café and Fountain until Mr. T.M. Dimmick sold to Paul Mellon in 1992, one month before the 7.1 earthquake.
On January 10th 1994 the Gazebo was placed on the National Register of Historic Places. In 2007 Chris and Brigette Brannan became owners of the Gazebo. It is the desire of Mr. and Mrs. Brannan to preserve the historic and cultural recognition of the Gazebo for future generations.
Erected 2012 by Grand Parlor, Native Sons of the Golden West and Ferndale Parlor #93 NSGW. (Marker Number 136-3.)
Topics and series. Notable Buildings. In addition, it is included in the Native Sons/Daughters of the Golden West series list.
Location. 40° 34.625′ N, 124° 15.798′ W. Marker is in Ferndale, California, in Humboldt County. Marker can be reached from Main Street (Route 211), on the right when traveling south. As you face the building, there is an alley on the right, the marker is on the side of the building in this alley. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 475 Main Street, Ferndale CA 95536, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Blackburn Law Office (within shouting distance of this marker); "Poppa Joe's" (within shouting distance of this marker); Ferndale Meat Market (about 400 feet away, measured in a direct line); Our Centennial (about 400 feet away); Ferndale Palace Saloon (about 500 feet away); Hotel Ivanhoe (about 600 feet away); "The Danish Hall" (about 700 feet away); Danish Hall (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ferndale.
Also see . . . The Ferndale Museum Main Street Walk. (Submitted on February 23, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 2, 2020. It was originally submitted on February 23, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California. This page has been viewed 343 times since then. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on February 23, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California. 3. submitted on November 13, 2015, by Andrew Ruppenstein of Sacramento, California. 4. submitted on February 23, 2014, by James King of San Miguel, California. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.