Athens in Limestone County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
In 1818, Robert Beaty and John D. Carriel, co-founders of the town of Athens, donated ground for all public buildings, including $8,000 toward the erection on this site of a log court house.
Among their donations were the springs which supply Athens.
Placed A.D. 1957
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1818.
Location. 34° 48.155′ N, 86° 58.294′ W. Marker is in Athens, Alabama, in Limestone County. Marker is on West Washington Street east of South Jefferson Street, on the left when traveling east. Marker is located on the south stairs of the Limestone County Court House. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 242 W Washington Street, Athens AL 35611, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Courthouse and Poor Farm Fence (a few steps from this marker); Limestone County Iraq Afghanistan Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Limestone County Beirut Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Battle of Sulphur Creek Trestle Surrender Site Limestone County Vietnam War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Courthouse and South Side of Square (within shouting distance of this marker); Athens Sacked and Plundered (within shouting distance of this marker); James Edwin Horton, Jr. (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athens.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 11, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. This page has been viewed 663 times since then and 22 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 11, 2014, by Lee Hattabaugh of Capshaw, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.