Ballinger in Runnels County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Runnels County Courthouse
Constructed here, 1888-89, after hotly contested battle with Runnels City for county seat. (County had been organized 1880.)
Structure stands on one of largest courthouse squares in Texas – 2 city blocks. Plot set aside prior to townlot sale by Santa Fe Railroad, June 29, 1886. In 1941, extensive remodeling modernized building. Two wings were added and old quarry (south of town on Colorado River) was opened to provide matching stone. Recorded Texas Historic Landmark
Erected 1967 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 4392.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is June 29, 1983.
Location. 31° 44.31′ N, 99° 56.759′ W. Marker is in Ballinger, Texas, in Runnels County. Marker is on Hutchings Avenue (U.S. 67/83) east of 7th Street, on the right when traveling west. Markers are at the main entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 613 Hutchings Avenue, Ballinger TX 76821, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Runnels County (within shouting distance of this marker); Runnels County Veterans MemorialCompany C, 142nd Infantry Regiment, 36th Division (within shouting distance of this marker); Charles H. Noyes (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Ballinger (about 400 feet away); Abilene & Southern Depot (approx. 0.2 miles away); War on Terror Memorial (approx. ¼ mile away); Carnegie Library Building (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Ballinger.
Also see . . .
1. Runnels County, Texas, Official Website. (Submitted on March 11, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. History of Runnels County, Texas. (Submitted on March 11, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 11, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 509 times since then and 6 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 11, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.