Pensacola in Escambia County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
From 1763-1783 the Bishop of London licensed priests to administer here.
The Parish was organized in 1827.
Chartered by Florida's Territorial Council in 1829.
The Rev. Addison Searle was the first rector.
During the rectorships of the Rev. Benjamin Hutchins and of the Rev. Ashbel Steele this church was built being completed in 1832.
The Rt. Rev. Jackson Kemper D.D. made the first episcopal visitation in 1838 and consecrated the church to the worship of God according to the Anglican Rite.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical year for this entry is 1827.
Location. 30° 24.551′ N, 87° 12.615′ W. Marker is in Pensacola, Florida, in Escambia County. Marker is at the intersection of South Adams Street and East Zarragossa Street, on the right when traveling south on South Adams Street. Tablet mounted near church entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 405 South Adams Street, Pensacola FL 32502, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named Christ Church (here, next to this marker); Firefighter Vista S. LoweOriginal Site of First Baptist Church (about 300 feet away); William Bartram Trail (about 400 feet away); Defending a Coastal Colony (about 400 feet away); A Port with Promise (about 400 feet away); Supremacy, Siege and the Sea (about 500 feet away); Mooring Anchor (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Pensacola.
Also see . . . Historic Pensacola - Old Christ Church. University of West Florida Historic Trust (Submitted on March 26, 2020.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 26, 2020. It was originally submitted on March 12, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 827 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 12, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.