Galt in Sacramento County, California — The American West (Pacific Coastal)
Don Ray Building
Galt Area Historical Site Marker
Erected 2013 by Galt Area Historical Society and City of Galt. (Marker Number 11.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1869.
Location. 38° 15.131′ N, 121° 18.323′ W. Marker is in Galt, California, in Sacramento County. Marker is at the intersection of C Street and 4th Street on C Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 303 4th Street, Galt CA 95632, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. George A. Lippi / Joseph F. Smith (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Galt Water Tower (about 600 feet away); St. Luke's Episcopal Church (about 700 feet away); Chism Cooper Fugitt and Elizabeth (McWilliams) Fugitt (approx. 1.9 miles away); Liberty Flag Pole (approx. 1.9 miles away); Cemetery of Children (approx. 1.9 miles away); Louis Andreas (approx. 1.9 miles away); Liberty California (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Galt.
1. From The Galt Herald - June 5, 2013
The Don Ray building housed the Granados Bros. Barber Shop, Galt Post Office (at the corner of C Street and the alley), the L-shaped remodeled Steiner’s Market store (with entries on both C and Fourth streets), the Galt bank (on the corner of Fourth and C) with Mr. Bill Anderson, owner and president, and Mr. Genasci, Mrs. Patterson and Inez Sawyer, employees.
If only the walls could talk, they would say we have known the upstairs as a dentist’s office and, on the east side, a large room was used for Masonic Lodge meetings and, in later years, frequently used for whist parties.
The Bank of Galt closed, and Stenstrum Realtors moved in from 1940-1950, followed by Farmers and Merchants Bank until it moved eastward as the city moved that way. The building was remodeled again and became a pizza parlor, and now an upscale beauty salon occupies the former bank area.
— Submitted March 15, 2014.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 15, 2014, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona. This page has been viewed 707 times since then and 31 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 15, 2014, by Syd Whittle of Mesa, Arizona.