Bradenton in Manatee County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
First Manatee Courthouse / Manatee Methodist Church
/ Established 1849
Manatee County was created by legislative action signed January 9, 1855, from Hillsborough, St. Lucie, and Monroe Counties. Five years later, in 1860, Josiah Gates and Mary, his wife, deeded to Manatee County a parcel of land located here to be the county seat and a courthouse built thereon. The building was completed the same year at a cost of $700 and served as a courthouse and school until 1866 when the county seat was moved to Pine Level.
Oldest church of any denomination south of Tampa on Florida's west coast. Lot located here was sold to John W. Curry, Ezekiel Clazier and James G. Cooper in 1866 for the Manatee Methodist Church. It is believed that the church ownership of this represents the longest private ownership of land in Manatee County.
Erected 1966 by Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials in cooperation with Manatee County Historical Society. (Marker Number F-137.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is January 9, 1892.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 315 15th Street East, Bradenton FL 34208, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Fogarty Boat Works (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Wiggins Store (about 500 feet away); Florida Naval Stores (about 500 feet away); Old Cabbage Head (about 600 feet away); The Florida Cracker Trail (about 600 feet away); Life on the Florida Frontier: The Stephens Family (about 600 feet away); The Smokehouse, Syrup Kettle and Sugar Cane Mill (about 600 feet away); Curry Houses National Register Historic District / Refuge of Peace (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Bradenton.
Related markers. Click here for a list of markers that are related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . . Documentation of Historical Marker erected at 1st Manatee County Courthouse and Manatee Methodist. The 1887 Methodist Church and the antebellum 1860 wooden Manatee County Court House were documented prior to their move to the Manatee Village Historical Park as part of Manatee County’s American (Submitted on March 23, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 19, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 556 times since then and 9 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on March 23, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. 2. submitted on March 22, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. 3, 4. submitted on March 23, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. 5. submitted on June 4, 2011, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia. 6. submitted on March 23, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. 7. submitted on June 4, 2011, by David Tibbs of Resaca, Georgia.