Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Georgetown in Georgetown County, South Carolina — The American South (South Atlantic)
 

Bethel Church

 
 
Bethel Church Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 20, 2008
1. Bethel Church Marker
Inscription.  
This African Methodist Episcopal Church was the first separate black church in Georgetown County. It was established by the Rev. A.T. Carr shortly after the 1863 Emancipation Proclamation which freed the slaves. The church purchased this property Jan. 15, 1866, and remodeled the present building in 1908 when the Rev. R.W. Mance was minister. The educational building was built in 1949 under the pastorate of Rev. H.B. Butler, Jr.
 
Erected 1986 by Georgetown Chapter of Delta Sigma Theta. (Marker Number 22-22.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansChurches & Religion. In addition, it is included in the African Methodist Episcopal (AME) Church series list. A significant historical date for this entry is January 15, 1866.
 
Location. 33° 22.206′ N, 79° 16.812′ W. Marker is in Georgetown, South Carolina, in Georgetown County. Marker is at the intersection of Broad Street and Duke Street, on the right when traveling west on Broad Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 417 Broad Street, Georgetown SC 29440, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
10 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Beth Elohim Cemetery (a few steps from this marker); Prince George Winyah Church (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Prince George’s Parish Church, Winyah (about 600 feet away); Georgetown (about 700 feet away); Antipedo Baptist Church / Old Baptist Cemetery (about 700 feet away); Elisha Screven (about 700 feet away); Company A, 10th South Carolina Infantry Regiment (about 700 feet away); William Screven (approx. 0.2 miles away); Methodists (approx. 0.2 miles away); Howard School (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Georgetown.
 
Bethel Church, Marker on the Left image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 20, 2008
2. Bethel Church, Marker on the Left
Photographed from the Beth Elohim Jewish cemetery across the Broad Street.
Bethel A.M.E. Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 20, 2008
3. Bethel A.M.E. Church
Photographed from across the intersection of Broad and Duke Streets.
Bethel A.M.E. Church, Pastor: Rev. R.W. Mance, A.B. image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 20, 2008
4. Bethel A.M.E. Church, Pastor: Rev. R.W. Mance, A.B.
This is the 1908 stone set at the front doors.
Centennial Memorial Plaque, Bethel A.M.E. Church, Arthur Fisher, Minister image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 20, 2008
5. Centennial Memorial Plaque, Bethel A.M.E. Church, Arthur Fisher, Minister
“In memory of those who have served and those whom we love.” This plaque is set to the right of the front doors.
Front Entrance, Bethel A.M.E. Church image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 20, 2008
6. Front Entrance, Bethel A.M.E. Church
The 1908 stone tablet and the 1966 centennial tablet flank the door.
Bethel A.M.E Church, Remodeled A.D. 1955 image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 20, 2008
7. Bethel A.M.E Church, Remodeled A.D. 1955
This stone is set at the Duke Street side doors of the church.
1966 Bethel A.M.E. Church Parsonage Plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 20, 2008
8. 1966 Bethel A.M.E. Church Parsonage Plaque
“Bishop C.A. Gibbs, Prelate; Stephen A. Brown, P.E.; Arthur T. Fisher, Minister.”
Bethel A.M.E. Church Parsonage image. Click for full size.
Photographed By J. J. Prats, January 20, 2008
9. Bethel A.M.E. Church Parsonage
Parsonage is across Duke Street from the church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on April 23, 2017. It was originally submitted on April 20, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio. This page has been viewed 1,770 times since then and 13 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on April 20, 2008, by J. J. Prats of Powell, Ohio.
 
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Photo of the educational building. • Can you help?

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=7244

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
U.S. FTC REQUIRED NOTICE: This website earns income from purchases you make after using links to Amazon.com. Thank you.
Paid Advertisements
Mar. 1, 2024