The Old Shuttle Shop
by Attleboro Historic Commission
Given to the city of Attleboro
Mr. and Mrs William A. Nerney
Erected 1970 by Attleboro Historic Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 41° 57.005′ N, 71° 17.469′ W. Marker is in Attleboro, Massachusetts, in Bristol County. Marker is on North Main St. Colonel Blackington inn is at 203 North Main st The site is directly across the street on the far side of the parking lot. Facing the inn. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 North Main st, Attleboro MA 02703, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. L.G. Balfour Company WWII Marker (approx. half a mile away); Charles O. Fiske Square (approx. half a mile away); The Mullaney Twins Memorial Parking Area (approx. half a mile away); Memory of the Revolutionary Soldiers (approx. 0.6 miles away); The First Attleborough Towne House
Regarding The Old Shuttle Shop. Col. Willard Blackinton started the
business of making shuttles for power looms in 1827. The first operation of
the turbine water wheel was used at this location. Records show that other business was
conducted in the building, such as the making of "first class braids", The
site of the shop is marked by one of the original grinding stones, placed
there as a memorial
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on July 23, 2011, by Bryan Simmons of Attleboro, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 648 times since then and 2 times this year. Last updated on March 19, 2014, by Michael Wilkinson of Attleboro, Massachusetts. Photos: 1. submitted on July 23, 2011, by Bryan Simmons of Attleboro, Massachusetts. 2. submitted on July 26, 2011, by Bryan Simmons of Attleboro, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.