Lewiston in Niagara County, New York — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Little Yellow House - 1816
This lot No. 129, Block EE, was the first lot sold by the commissioners of the common schools exactly 16 days from the April 1816 opening of the land sale. Peter B. Porter and Benjamin Barton purchased the land. Barton was one of the builders of the adjacent Frontier House. Shortly after the land sale record revealed that this parcel was sold to David Shockney with the stipulation that within two years he was to erect a building not less that
In 1999 this parcel was purchased from the Simon family by the Village of Lewiston Board of Trustees for the purpose pf preserving a part of our historical heritage for future generations. There is very little doubt that his structure is one of the oldest standing buildings in the Village of Lewiston today!
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1816.
Location. 43° 10.367′ N, 79° 2.521′ W. Marker is in Lewiston, New York, in Niagara County. Marker is at the intersection of Center Street (New York State Route 18F) and Robert Moses Parkway/NY Route 104 Off Ramp (New York State Route 104), on the right when traveling west on Center Street. Center Street (NY 18F) is west of the Robert Moses Parkway. Ridge Road (NY 104) is east of the Robert Moses Parkway on the same tangent.Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 476 Center Street, Lewiston NY 14092, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kiwanians Promoting Peace (a few steps from this marker); The Long and The Short House (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); The Cibola Anchor (about 300 feet away); 500 Center Street Archaeological Site (about 300 feet away); Hennepin Park (about 600 feet away); Underground Railroad Station #6 (about 700 feet away); The First Religious Society of Lewiston (about 700 feet away); Kelsey Tavern (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Lewiston.
More about this marker. A public (War of 1812) peace garden is behind the Little Yellow House. The vacant stone Frontier House (1824) is adjacent to the Little Yellow House. It has no marker.
Also see . . .
1. Historic Lewiston. (Submitted on March 22, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
2. Frontier House - Wikipedia. The Frontier House, adjacent to the Little Yellow House, hosted a few famous visitors. President William McKinley visited shortly before he was assassinated in Buffalo. McKinley had rode the U.S. portion of The Niagara Gorge Belt Line between Lewiston and Niagara Falls on September 6, 1901. (Reference: Thompson, Gordon J. ed., The Niagara Gorge Belt Line: A Pictorial Album, Niagara Frontier Chapter, National Railway Historical Society, 2000.) (Submitted on March 22, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
3. Peter B. Porter - Wikipedia. (Submitted on March 22, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on May 10, 2017. It was originally submitted on March 22, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. This page has been viewed 566 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on March 22, 2014, by Anton Schwarzmueller of Wilson, New York. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.