Crestview in Okaloosa County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Okaloosa is one of the newer counties of northwest Florida. It was created by the State Legislature in 1915 from land taken from Santa Rosa and Walton Counties. The influence of State Senator W.H. Mapoles of Crestview was an important factor in the creation of the county. Okaloosa contains extensive agricultural and forest industries, popular gulf coast fishing and bathing resorts, and important military installations. The county seat is Crestview.
Erected 1962 by the Florida Board of Parks and Historic Memorials. (Marker Number F-77.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Political Subdivisions. A significant historical year for this entry is 1915.
Location. 30° 45.647′ N, 86° 34.331′ W. Marker is in Crestview, Florida, in Okaloosa County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Main Street and West Pine Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 101 E James Lee Blvd, Crestview FL 32536, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Okaloosa County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance Okaloosa County (within shouting distance of this marker); Concord Lodge No. 50 F & AM (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Bush House (approx. 0.4 miles away); Crestview Lodge #364 F&AM PHA (approx. 0.7 miles away); Carver-Hill H.S. (approx. ¾ mile away); Old Bethel Cemetery (approx. 2.8 miles away); Florida Honors and Remembers our POW’s and MIA’s (approx. 4½ miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Crestview.
Also see . . . Okaloosa County, Florida. Wikipedia entry (Submitted on August 24, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
1. Marker reinstalled after building of new Courthouse.
After nearly 2 years this marker has been reinstalled in a different location at the new County Courthouse (completed in 2018).
The marker was removed in 2016 because the previous courthouse was demolished to allow the new courthouse to be built.
— Submitted October 15,
Credits. This page was last revised on August 24, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 24, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 712 times since then and 35 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on September 20, 2020, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. 4, 5. submitted on March 24, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.