Kenansville in Osceola County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
This building was constructed in 1917 on five acres of land with $6,000 donated from the estate of Mrs. Mary Lily Kenan Flagler Bingham, (1867-1917), wife of Henry Flagler, the owner and promoter of the Florida East Coast Railroad. Kenansville School is the oldest known public school building in Osceola County. The two-story masonry vernacular brick building, of late 19th, early 20th century design, was erected by A.J. MacDonough, Architect, and Track and Nash Contractor. From 1917 to early 1920, the school housed grades one through 12 with as many as 100 students and five teachers. By 1922, only 29 students were enrolled in grades one through six and were taught by one teacher. The school closed in 1962 and sat empty for 30 years. In 1992 it reopened, serving students from pre-K to second grade and saving the younger children the 35-mile bus ride to St. Cloud. In 2003, the school closed its doors permanently. In 2005, the school was deeded to the Kenansville Community Association, Inc. with the help of the School Board of Osceola County and the Board of County Commissioners of Osceola County. For several decades, the school was one of the
Erected 2009 by Kenansville Community Association, Inc. and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-673.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1917.
Location. 27° 52.574′ N, 80° 59.839′ W. Marker is in Kenansville, Florida, in Osceola County. Marker is on South Canoe Creek Road (County Road 523) 0.6 miles west of South Kenansville Road (U.S. 441), on the left when traveling west. The marker is located on the Kenansville Community Center grounds in front of the school. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1180 South Canoe Creek Road, Kenansville FL 34739, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 14 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Illahaw (approx. 10.2 miles away); Nittaw Station (approx. 10.2 miles away); The Desert Inn (approx. 13.4 miles away).
Also see . . . Kenansville School. Abandoned Florida Website entry (Submitted on March 18, 2021, by Larry Gertner of New York, New York.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 18, 2021. It was originally submitted on March 26, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 509 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 26, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.