Lisnaskea in Fermanagh And Omagh District, Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
Lisnaskea Market Cross
This cross was set up in the Corn and Potato Market when it was built by Mr John Crichton, later third Earl of Erne, in 1841. At that time the small stone cross was made and placed on the ancient and much more massive shaft.
The original site of the cross is unknown, though there are several traditions about it. One is that the shaft formerly stood at Fawney cross-roads, east of Lisnaskea, and was used for swearing oaths. The base is said to have been dug up somewhere near the town, or used as a mounting block at Castle Balfour. Lisnaskea itself is not the site of an early church, and the likelihood is that the cross once stood at one of the early church sites in the area. Galloen and Inishroosk have been suggested, and Aghalurcher is also possible.
The cross when complete must have been massive. The large stepped case is undecorated. The shaft above has a plain 'collar' at top and bottom, but the main faces between are carved. On the east face (to the street) are Adam and Eve under the tree. The treatment is bold in scale and lively. Adam, to the right, has a long beard, and Eve holds out the apple. The figures seem
The cross was published by Lady Dorothy Lowry-Corry in the Journal of the Royal Society of Antiquaries of Ireland 65 (1935). It was moved from a site close to the railings into the middle of the Market as part of the restoration scheme carried out in 1980-81.
The Market including the Cross is listed for protection under the Planning (Northern Ireland) Order 1972. This notice was supplied by Historic Monuments and Buildings Branch (DOENI) in 1985.
Erected 1985 by Historic Monuments and Buildings Branch (DOENI).
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Education • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 141 Main Street, Lisnaskea, Northern Ireland BT92 0JE, United Kingdom. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 18 kilometers of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Castle Balfour (approx. 0.4 kilometers away); World Wars Memorial (approx. 16 kilometers away); Cole's Monument (approx. 16.1 kilometers away); South Africa War Memorial (approx. 16.6 kilometers away); German 21cm Mortar, 1918 (approx. 16.7 kilometers away); The Watergate and Flag of St George (approx. 16.7 kilometers away); German 77mm Light Artillery Gun (approx. 16.7 kilometers away).
Also see . . . Lisnaskea High Cross. (Submitted on March 29, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on July 24, 2018. It was originally submitted on March 29, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 425 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on March 29, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.