Kosciusko in Attala County, Mississippi — The American South (East South Central)
The Mississippi Federation of Women’s Clubs was founded here on May 25, 1898. Organized by Mrs. Fannie Clark Coleman of Kosciusko, charter clubs included Clarksdale, Jackson, Verona, Sallis, Okolona, Vicksburg, and Meridian. Mrs. D.N. Hebron was elected as the first president. The MFWC joined the General Federation in 1904.
Erected 1998 by Mississippi Department of Archives and History.
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Fraternal or Sororal Organizations. In addition, it is included in the Mississippi State Historical Marker Program series list.
Location. 33° 3.472′ N, 89° 35.404′ W. Marker is in Kosciusko, Mississippi, in Attala County. Marker is at the intersection of South Jackson Street and West Jefferson Street, on the left when traveling north on South Jackson Street. Marker is located at the southeast corner of the Attala County Courthouse grounds. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Kosciusko MS 39090, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 7 other markers are within 15 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Attala County Charlie Musselwhite (about 300 feet away); Kosciusko (about 800 feet away); Hurricane Creek (approx. 4.1 miles away); New Hope Lutheran Church (approx. 10.3 miles away); Cole Creek (approx. 14˝ miles away); Bethel Mission (approx. 15.1 miles away).
More about this marker. This courthouse is where the organization was founded.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 30, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 508 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on March 30, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.