Brightwood in Washington, District of Columbia — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
Park and Shop!
Battleground to Community
— Brightwood Heritage Trail —
Back in the 1920s, most people walked or rode a streetcar to go shopping. Then cars became affordable, and people drove everywhere. Soon the shopping center, with free parking, was born. In 1937 Brightwood's "Park and Shop" opened on Georgia Avenue across from this sign.
Brightwood's center included the 1,000 seat Sheridan Theater. The Classical Moderne style hall, by nationally know architect John Eberson, matched local architect Morton Levy's retail shops. Six local businesses shared the space with national chains Kresge's and A&P.
By the 1950s Georgia Avenue enterprises reflected Brightwood's ethnic mix, with many operated by Greek, Italian and Jewish merchants. A few blocks north of here was Silbert's Kosher Meat Market. To your right at 6214 Georgia Avenue was the Waffle shop/John's Lunch, owned by John and Evthokia Deoudes. Their son Logan recalled that they served American food "done with Greek hands...which put better flavor in the food." The Deoudes family, including Greco the dog, is immortalized in George Pelecanos's novel, Hard Revolution. Real estate broker and Greek language radio show host
While the rioting that followed the assassination of the Rev. Martin Luther King, Jr., in 1968 spared this area, it spurred dozens of middle-class families to move to the suburbs. Business soon suffered, and vacant storefronts became common. In the 1970s the Sheridan became a live theater, briefly housing the Black American Theater. Later it became a church. By the end of the 1990s, though, new back-to-the-city investments and community activism brought promise of revitalization.
Erected 2008 by Cultural Tourism DC. (Marker Number 14.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Industry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Brightwood Heritage Trail series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1937.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 38° 57.944′ N, 77° 1.667′ W. Marker was in Brightwood in Washington, District of Columbia. Marker was on Georgia Avenue Northwest (U.S. 29) south of Sheridan Street Northwest, on the right when traveling south. Marker was on the west side of Georgia Avenue Northwest (U.S. 29) between Enat Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 6222 Georgia Avenue Northwest, Washington DC 20011, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Fort Stevens (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Lincoln Under Fire at Fort Stevens (about 600 feet away); Scale Model of Fort Stevens (about 600 feet away); The Seventh Street Turnpike (about 700 feet away); The Rock on Brightwood Avenue (about 800 feet away); “Get Down You Fool” (approx. 0.2 miles away); a different marker also named Fort Stevens (approx. 0.2 miles away); What a Beautiful Location, Brightwood (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Brightwood.
Credits. This page was last revised on May 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on January 18, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 761 times since then. Last updated on April 6, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. Photos: 1. submitted on January 18, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 2. submitted on January 21, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13. submitted on January 18, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.