Danbury in Fairfield County, Connecticut — The American Northeast (New England)
248 Main Street
248 Main Street
This handsome Victorian Romanesque building was built as the new headquarters for the Danbury National Bank in 1887.
The architect, Warren Biggs of Bridgeport, used stone from Massachusetts. The building is constructed of Longmeadow brownstone with red Chicopee stone trim. All of the stone carving was done on the construction site and the name of the bank remains over the entrance. This is the only true brownstone building on Main Street.
The Danbury National Bank moved out of this building in 1924. Thomas Settle and four employees moved into the building in 1940. The Settle Agency continues to occupy the building to this day.
The original steep gables on the third floor were destroyed by fire in 1973. The upper story was rebuilt in 1989.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical year for this entry is 1887.
Location. 41° 23.711′ N, 73° 27.206′ W. Marker is in Danbury, Connecticut, in Fairfield County. Marker is at the intersection of Main Street and Library Place, on Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Danbury CT 06810, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. The Seal of the City (a few steps from this marker); Charles Edward Ives – The Father of Modern Music (a few steps from this marker); Marian Anderson (within shouting distance of this marker); Danbury Fair Days (within shouting distance of this marker); Danbury – The Hat City (within shouting distance of this marker); Trains, Trolleys & Transportation (within shouting distance of this marker); The Danbury Fire Department (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Savings Bank of Danbury at Bankers’ Row (about 300 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Danbury.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 6, 2014, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut. This page has been viewed 458 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 6, 2014, by Michael Herrick of Southbury, Connecticut.