White Pass & Yukon Route
Golden Spike Centennial
One hundred years later – on July 29, 2000 a new ceremonial spike was driven to honor the courage and dedication that built the first northern railway and to pledge a commitment to a second century of service.
Erected 2000 by Carcross, Yukon Territory, July 29.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Railroads & Streetcars • Waterways & Vessels.
Location. 60° 9.913′ N, 134° 42.208′ W. Marker is in Carcross, Yukon. Marker is on Tagish Avenue. This marker is in a park near the WP&YR Depot. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Carcross, Yukon Y0B 1B0, Canada. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. A different marker also named White Pass & Yukon Route (a few steps from this marker); James “Skookum” Jim Mason
Regarding White Pass & Yukon Route. Carcross — The Tagish people call this area Todezzane, “blowing all the time”and the Tlingit called call it Naataase Heen, “water running through the narrows”. In 1899, the community was officially named Caribou Crossing, referring to the spot where the local woodland caribou herd crossed the narrows. Bishop Bompass requested Caribou Crossing be renamed "Carcross" in 1904, and the government approved the change in 1906.
J.H. Brownlee surveyed the town site in 1899 for the White Pass & Yukon Route (WP&YR)... The town was established by WP&YR to maintain the rail line and connect freight and passengers to Atlin and points around the lake via the sternwheelers.
--Taken from Carcross Historic Buildings Walking Tour.
Also see . . .
1. Carcross, Yukon Territory - Wikipedia. (Submitted on November 10, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California.)
2. White Pass & Yukon Route – Wikipedia Entry. “The line was born of the Klondike Gold Rush of 1897. The most popular route taken by prospectors to the gold fields in Dawson City was a treacherous route (Submitted on August 11, 2012.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on November 10, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. This page has been viewed 979 times since then. Last updated on April 8, 2014, by Richard E. Miller of Oxon Hill, Maryland. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on November 10, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. 3. submitted on July 16, 2015, by Rev. Ronald Irick of West Liberty, Ohio. 4, 5, 6. submitted on November 10, 2011, by Barry Swackhamer of Brentwood, California. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.