Baton Rouge in East Baton Rouge Parish, Louisiana — The American South (West South Central)
Built about 1850 by Nathan King Knox and first occupied by the Stewart-Dougherty families, this house was used as a hospital by Union soldiers during the Civil War. It is an excellent example of Classical Revival architecture.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: War, US Civil. A significant historical year for this entry is 1850.
Location. Marker has been reported missing. It was located near 30° 27.167′ N, 91° 10.97′ W. Marker was in Baton Rouge, Louisiana, in East Baton Rouge Parish. Marker was at the intersection of North Street and Lucillia Lane, on the left when traveling east on North Street. Touch for map. Marker was at or near this postal address: 741 North St, Baton Rouge LA 70802, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this location. Piño House (within shouting distance of this marker); Castro Carazo (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Potts House (about 500 feet away); Spanish Town (about 600 feet away); Site of the Shiloh Baptist Church (about 800 feet away); a different marker also named Spanish TownThe Former Baptismal Fount (approx. ¼ mile away); St. Vincent's Academy/Catholic High School (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Baton Rouge.
More about this marker. The marker is located in an area called Spanish Town and is on the route of the annual Spanish Town Mardi Gras parade.
Also see . . . John A. Dougherty Papers. LSU Libraries (pdf file):
Collection consists of six diaries and two receipt books. Plantations mentioned are: Highland, Motesano, Belair, Carolina, Poplar Grove, Hard Times. Numerous prominent citizens are also mentioned. The entries for 1861-1862 discuss the Civil War as it affected Baton Rouge. (Submitted on April 13, 2014, by Mike Waldon of Lafayette, Louisiana.)
Credits. This page was last revised on January 2, 2022. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2014, by Mike Waldon of Lafayette, Louisiana. This page has been viewed 754 times since then and 55 times this year. Photos: 1. submitted on April 13, 2014, by Mike Waldon of Lafayette, Louisiana. 2. submitted on August 16, 2015. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. A wide view photo of the marker and the surrounding area in context. • Can you help?