Near Faunsdale in Marengo County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
St. Michael's Cemetery
The slaves buried here were communicants of the Episcopal faith and first attended St. Michael’s Church, then Faunsdale Chapel after it was erected for them by Louisa M. Collins Harrison and consecrated in June 1861.
Erected 2007 by Alabama Historical Association.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Churches & Religion. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1860.
Location. 32° 26.211′ N, 87° 36.514′ W. Marker is near Faunsdale, Alabama, in Marengo County. Marker can be Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Faunsdale AL 36738, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 11 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. St. Michael's Episcopal Churchyard (within shouting distance of this marker); Freetown (approx. 5.2 miles away); Church of the Holy Cross (approx. 5.4 miles away); Green Gables (approx. 6.4 miles away); Dr. Benjamin M. Duggar (approx. 7.4 miles away); St. Andrew’s Church (approx. 7.4 miles away); Oak Grove School (approx. 8.6 miles away); Bethel Baptist Church & Cemetery (approx. 10.2 miles away).
Also see . . . Faunsdale Plantation Slavery Data. (Submitted on April 13, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on February 7, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 13, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 600 times since then and 33 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 13, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.