Near Porter in Wagoner County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
Was trading post in 1829-33, named and conducted by ex-Gov. Sam Houston of Tenn., who was called Colonah (The Raven) by his Cherokee friends. As a celebrity in the Indian Ter., Houston was visited by the American author, Washington Irving who came to this country in 1832, and made notes for his book, A Tour on the Prairies, now an Oklahoma classic.
Erected 1995 by Oklahoma Historical Society. (Marker Number 84.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Government & Politics • Industry & Commerce • Native Americans • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Oklahoma Historical Society series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1832.
Location. 35° 49.935′ N, 95° 24.152′ W. Marker is near Porter, Oklahoma, in Wagoner County. Marker is on U.S. 69, 0.4 miles north of 820th Road, on the right when traveling north. Marker is at a roadside pullout. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6290 US Highway 69, Porter OK 74454, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow Oklahoma's First Baptist Church (here, next to this marker); Chief Pushmataha (here, next to this marker); Tullahassee Mission (a few steps from this marker); 42nd Infantry (Rainbow) Division National Memorial (approx. 4.4 miles away); "The Sentry" (approx. 4˝ miles away); Union Agency (approx. 4.6 miles away); a different marker also named Union Agency (approx. 4.6 miles away); Muskogee Nation Commemorative Stone (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Porter.
Also see . . .
1. Nathaniel Pryor and Sam Houston at Three Forks. (Submitted on April 21, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
2. The Neosho Wigwam. (Submitted on April 21, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 21, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 740 times since then and 85 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 21, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.