Athol in Worcester County, Massachusetts — The American Northeast (New England)
Colonial Home 1777
Erected by Athol Hiistorical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Colonial Era • Patriots & Patriotism • War, US Revolutionary.
Location. 42° 36.831′ N, 72° 12.331′ W. Marker is in Athol, Massachusetts, in Worcester County. Marker is on Chestnut Hill Avenue, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Athol MA 01331, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Town Pound (approx. 1.6 miles away); 4th Meetinghouse (approx. 1.6 miles away); Town House (approx. 1.7 miles away); a different marker also named Town House (approx. 1.7 miles away); World War l Memorial (approx. 1.7 miles away); Stagecoach Stop (approx. 1.8 miles away); Uptown Common and 3rd MeetinghouseHiding Place for Slaves (approx. 1.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Athol.
Regarding Colonial Home 1777. "The Havens of Massachusetts are descended from one Richard Haven, who came from England and settled in Framingham. His grandson, John Haven, came from Framingham to Athol about 1760, and was one of the first settlers of Chestnut Hill. He was one of the most prominent men in town, having been one of the first board of Selectmen, was the first Town Clerk, the first Representative to the Great and General Court, and was chosen deacon of the old First Church, Nov. 10, 1774, which office he probably held until his death, July 12, 1807, at the age of eighty-one years. He had two sons, John Haven, Jr., and Daniel. John Haven, Jr., was in the Revolution, and on his return in 1777, built the house now standing on the Josiah Haven farm. He had six boys and five girls, all of whom grew up to manhood and womanhood. The boys were, Levi, John, Asa, Samuel, Chauncey and Jotham." Athol, Massachusetts, Past and Present by Lilley Brewer Caswell, Athol, Mass 1889. p. 274
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 23, 2014, by Larry Wilson of Wareham, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 367 times since then and 17 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 23, 2014, by Larry Wilson of Wareham, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.