Checotah in McIntosh County, Oklahoma — The American South (West South Central)
The Gentry Block
From 1898-1902, ambitious Checotah townspeople invested in the city's future by building impressive red brick Romanesque structures. The Block shown in the antique engraving was planned by Mr. W.E. Gentry, "The Father of Checotah."
This arch is the only original structure that remains following a devastating fire on August 15, 1992. This was the entrance to Checotah's First National Bank which opened July 5, 1898.
Expansion to the east began with the Hutchinson Mercantile (IOOF Building) - 1898, which also housed the Masonic Lodge and later became the town's only 3-story building (1912). Next was H.D. Kniseley & Co. (1899), "the oldest & largest drug establishment in Checotah". The second floor of the Sherwood & Avery Building (1901) was known as Tuckabatchee Hall, the hub of Checotah's social activities. Tuckabatchee in Creek means "add to & stick together". The building was purchased in 1925 by Checotah Masonic Lodge #86, A.F. & A.M., and its first floor was occupied by Vandiver Hardware from 1940-1991.
Three other 1901 buildings completed the block: The Chenault Mercantile was later owned by grocer's
The Gentry Group
Following intensive study by Checotah Main Street's Arch of Triumph, Inc.
a group of local investors formed
The Gentry Group, L.L.C.
whose goal it was to rebuild commercial space appropriate to the Gentry Block's 1982 listing in the National Register of Historic Places Business District.
Dedicated October 28, 1997
From Diversity - Unity
Erected 1997 by The Gentry Group LLC.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings. A significant historical date for this entry is July 5, 1898.
Location. 35° 28.212′ N, 95° 31.37′ W. Marker is in Checotah, Oklahoma, in McIntosh County. Marker is at the intersection of Broadway (Business U.S. 69) and Gentry Avenue (U.S. 266), on the right when traveling north on Broadway. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Checotah OK 74426, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Kniseley and Long Building (within shouting distance of this marker); 116 South Broadway (within shouting distance of this marker); Towry Brothers Building (within shouting distance of this marker); Veterans MemorialCity Hall (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Methodist Episcopal Church, South (about 700 feet away); Jefferson Highway (approx. 0.6 miles away); Missouri-Kansas-Texas Depot (approx. 0.8 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Checotah.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 23, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 606 times since then and 51 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 23, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.