Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Downtown in Baltimore, Maryland — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Fish Market

 
 
Fish Market Marker image. Click for full size.
By Christopher Busta-Peck, April 24, 2008
1. Fish Market Marker
Inscription.  Baltimore's first fish market stood near the site of this structure as searly as 1773. The first market building, Centre Market, was authorized by act of the State legislature in 1784. It was also known as Marsh Market since it was built on Thomas Harrison's marsh. Throughout the nineteenth century, market merchants sold dry goods, horses and fresh fruits and getetables. Slave auctions were also held here.

In 1851 what was perhaps America's finest market-type assembly hall was built here between Baltimore and Water Streets to house the Maryland Institute. Presidents Pierce and Fillmore were nominated at national political conventions held here. President Lincoln delivered his famous Liberty Speech here on April 18, 1864, three years after the Pratt Street Riots. The Maryland Institute was destroyed in the Great Baltimore Fire of 1904.

The marketplace was expanded in the rebuilding that followed the Fire. Built in 1907, the current structure served as Baltimore's wholesale Fish Market. It was one of three market buildings erected in a row, all designed by architects Otto Simonson and Theodore Wells Pietsch. The others housed
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
Baltimore's retail and wholesale produce markets. The Fish Market thrived for almost a century before it closed in 1984 when Maryland Wholesale Seafood Center opened in Jessup, Maryland.

In 1997 the Mayor and City Council of Baltimore granted the Baltimore Children's Museum a 100-year lease on the Fish Market, to establish one of the nation's largest children's museums, Port Discovery.
 
Erected by the City of Baltimore, Baltimore City Heritage Area, Martin O'Malley, mayor.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: AnimalsArchitectureIndustry & Commerce. In addition, it is included in the Former U.S. Presidents: #14 Franklin Pierce, the Former U.S. Presidents: #16 Abraham Lincoln, and the Maryland, Baltimore City historical markers series lists. A significant historical month for this entry is April 1911.
 
Location. 39° 17.347′ N, 76° 36.398′ W. Marker is in Downtown in Baltimore, Maryland. Marker can be reached from Water Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Baltimore MD 21202, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Baltimore's Great Fire (here, next to this marker); Baltimore Police Department (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Cast-Iron Façade (about 500 feet away); 9 North Front Street
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
(about 600 feet away); Carroll Mansion (about 600 feet away); Cistern (about 600 feet away); Holocaust Memorial (about 600 feet away); Small Brick Building (about 600 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Downtown.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on August 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on April 24, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio. This page has been viewed 2,227 times since then and 25 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on April 24, 2008, by Christopher Busta-Peck of Shaker Heights, Ohio.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=7322

Paid Advertisement
Jun. 21, 2021