Cleburne in Johnson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Cleburne Town Square
County seat was bodily moved by wagon to this place (then called Camp Henderson) in 1867, and renamed to honor Patrick Cleburne, a Confederate general under whom many local Civil War veterans had served.
Cleburne's growth has been rapid, particularly in the field of commerce, since 1876. The Gulf, Colorado and Santa Fe Railroad line from Galveston to Fort Worth passed through Cleburne in 1881. A short time later, new branches connected the town with Dallas and Weatherford. In 1898, the railroad's workshops were located here and development of Cleburne as an industrial center began.
By 1950, Cleburne boasted a steel foundry, milk processing plants, ladies' garment factory, lime plant, chair factory, battery plant and the state's largest railroad construction and repair shops.
Typical of other American towns, outward expansion found the original business district taking on a neglected appearance. In 1968, a group called "Our Town, Inc." became concerned with this deterioration and enlisted citizens' aid to
Erected 1970 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 915.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1854.
Location. 32° 20.83′ N, 97° 23.187′ W. Marker is in Cleburne, Texas, in Johnson County. Marker is on North Main Street (State Highway 174) south of East Henderson Street (Business U.S. 67), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 2 N Main St, Cleburne TX 76031, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Desert Storm Memorial (a few steps from this marker); Ensign Howard D. Crow (a few steps from this marker); Johnson County War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); The 36th Division - Texas National Guard (within shouting distance of this marker); Johnson County Courthouse (within shouting distance of this marker); Johnson County Courthouse Stone (within shouting distance of this marker); Johnson County Confederate Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Colonel Middleton T. Johnson (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Cleburne.
More about this marker. The fact that the marker says Property of the State of Texas at the bottom shows that it has been replaced. The markers of 1970 did not have that.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. This page has been viewed 623 times since then and 26 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on April 26, 2014, by QuesterMark of Fort Worth, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.