Imhoe-myeon in Jindo-gun, Jeollanam-do, South Korea
Jeollanam-do, Jindo-gun, Imhoe-myeon, Namdong-ri 149
A fortress wall is a structure made of stone or earth for the purposes of protecting the designated area and using that area as the administrative and military center.
The Namdo stone fortress stands on flat ground which encircles Namdong Village. It is said that this was build by the Sambyeolcho forces to defend the coastal areas when they were stationed in Jindo during King Wonjong’s reign and it is also said that this is the very spot that the Sambyeolcho left for Jeju Island.
This fortress was reconstructed in the coastal regions and the naval forces were dispatched here in the early Joseon Dynasty to repel Japanese pirates. the then place name was Mandopo.
At the time, because the Manho (the commanding officer) was dispatched to rule this area, it came to be called the Namdoposugunmanho jinseong (a naval base in charge of Manh, ten thousand houses, at Namdopo). According to the chronicle, it was in the 20th year of King Sejong’s reign (1438) that ten thousand houses existed in this area. From this, it is
The stone fortress is about 610m around, and 2.8 to 4.1m high. The remains of the gates and Ongseong (the outer wall to protect the fortress gate) are well preserved. Unlike the other remaining Sugunmanhijinseongs it is good state of preservation and for the reason, this fortress wall is worth being preserved. =============================================================
사적 제127호 전라남도 진도군 임회면 남동리 149 성 이란 일정지역을 보호하고 행정이란 군사의 중심지로 활용하기 위해 돌이나 흙으로 쌓은 건조물을 말하다. 남도석성은 현재 남동마을을 감싸고 있는 평탄한 대지 위에돌로 축조된 성이다. 원 래 고려 원종 때 삼별초군이 진도에서
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Forts or Castles.
Location. 34° 21.834′ N, 126° 9.88′ E. Marker is in Imhoe-myeon, Jeollanam-do, in Jindo-gun. Marker is on Jindo Highway (Jeollanam-do Route 18), on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Imhoe-myeon, Jeollanam-do 539-840, South Korea. Touch for directions.
More about this marker. This historic fortress probably dates from the 15th century built as a defense against Japanese pirates. It has been well preserved and encloses as living village with many of the old buildings and walls freely open to the public.
This fortress is unusual in that it is a wall that completely encircles an occupied village. Complete with houses, fields, gardens, Jindo dogs, cars and satellite dishes, this village offers the contrast of the ancient and the modern. Visitors here are free to explore some of the oldest buildings that have been preserved, the unusual entrance gate that is still intact, and see the details of the stone constructions. The local children can be seen running along the top of the wall.
This fortress sits at the tip of Jindo Island in a naturally protected harbor. It was an outpost to defend against the Japanese pirates during the reign of King Sejong. This location is a little off the beaten path, but the excursion is worth seeing a part of Korean history.
Regarding Namdoseokseong (남도석성). The following additional information is available from the pages of Data Korea.
Namdoseokseong Fortress was built in order to protect a coastal
Judged from that facts, it was possible that the fortress had already been erected from the Three Kingdom Period. Government offices and people in Jindo had escaped to the other town in the 2nd year of King Chungjeong (1350) of Goryeo because of the Japanese pirates pillaged the town in the 13th century. They came back to Jindo in the early years of The Great King Sejong. Finally, Manhobu, the military alliance usually established along the coast, formed here and erected the fortress in the 20th year of King Sejong. It was likely that the present fortress was built after that.
Although it was 400 meters round, Namdoseokseong Fortress was considered as an important location to protect the coastal area. It had many valuable relics since it was the the major site of the east, west and south gate that had been well preserved.
고려 원종(재위 1259∼1274), 삼별초가 진도에서 몽골과 항쟁을 벌일 때
Credits. This page was last revised on August 12, 2018. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2014, by Larry Wilson of Wareham, Massachusetts. This page has been viewed 668 times since then and 14 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7. submitted on April 26, 2014, by Larry Wilson of Wareham, Massachusetts. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.