Skagway, Alaska — Northwest
Bank of Alaska
— Est. 1916 —
This Wells Fargo Store began as the Bank of Alaska on March 20, 1916.
In 1950, Bank of Alaska took on a national character as National Bank of Alaska, and went on to become a pioneer and leader in branch banking in Alaska. In 2000, National Bank of Alaska merged with Wells Fargo & Company. Today Wells Fargo Bank of Alaska remains deeply rooted in the heritage of this state.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce. A significant historical month for this entry is March 1900.
Location. 59° 27.362′ N, 135° 18.858′ W. Marker is in Skagway, Alaska. Marker is at the intersection of 6th Avenue and Broadway Street, on the right when traveling north on 6th Avenue. Marker is on the 6th Avenue side of the bank building, at eye level, near the front (corner) entrance. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 605 Broadway Street, Skagway AK 99840, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Mollie Walsh (within shouting distance of this marker); Skagway Remembers (about 500 feet away, measured in a direct line); Trail of '98 Museum (about 500 feet away); Arctic Brotherhood Camp Skagway Jeff. Smith’s Parlor (approx. ¼ mile away); Fatal Duel (approx. ¼ mile away); Inspector Charles Constantine (approx. ¼ mile away); Skagway and White Pass (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Skagway.
Also see . . . National Bank of Alaska History.
Bank of Alaska was founded in 1916 by Andrew Stevenson in Skagway, Alaska. The bank's first headquarters were in the building previously occupied by the Canadian Imperial Bank of Commerce at Fifth and Broadway, but it soon built a new headquarters one block away at Sixth and Broadway, a building which has remained in the possession of the company and its successors to this day. Bank of Alaska soon opened additional branches in Wrangell and Anchorage, which had just been named. (Submitted on April 30, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on April 30, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 742 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on April 30, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.