Cottonwood in Houston County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Southern Boundary of the United States
On October 27, 1795, the United States concluded the Treaty of San Lorenzo with Spain, establishing 31 north latitude as the boundary between its southern territory and West Florida. Despite Spanish delays, commissions representing the two countries began the eastward survey at the Mississippi River. They passed this point in August 1799, and continued to the Chattahoochee River. They later abandoned the boundary survey east of the river due to persistent Indian attacks. The 381 mile survey became known as Ellicott's line in reference to Andrew Ellicott, surveyor for the U.S. commission.
Erected 1995 by the Houston County Commission, Dothan Landmarks Foundation, and the Historic Chattahoochee Commission.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Exploration • Political Subdivisions.
Location. 30° 59.907′ N, 85° 24.442′ W. Marker is in Cottonwood, Alabama, in Houston County. Marker is at the intersection of U.S. 231 and State Line Road, on the right when traveling north Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 15809 South Oates Street, Cottonwood AL 36320, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 17 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. First Baptist Church (approx. 3˝ miles away in Florida); Big Creek United Methodist Church / Joseph Watford Revolutionary War Veteran (approx. 5˝ miles away); When The Lights Came On (approx. 7 miles away in Florida); Cottonwood, Alabama (approx. 7.4 miles away); Cowarts Baptist Church / Cowarts School (approx. 15.2 miles away); Ashford Depot (approx. 16.3 miles away); Ashford Centennial (approx. 16.3 miles away); Incorporation of Ashford/Ashford - a Unique Name (approx. 16.4 miles away).
Also see . . . Surveyor works to find original Florida-Alabama line. (Submitted on May 3, 2014, by Bill Pfingsten of Bel Air, Maryland.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 2, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 631 times since then and 39 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 2, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.