Columbia in Houston County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Columbia Methodist Episcopal Church, South
History suggests that, in the early 1820's, circuit riding preachers from the South Carolina Conference of the Methodist Episcopal Church arrived in the newly settled town of Columbia. Assigned to the Early County Mission in Georgia, these men served settlements on both sides of the Chattahoochee River. About 1832, a one room Methodist preaching house was established about two blocks west of this site. In 1889, a wooden structure at this location was completed at a cost of $2,000 and the first service was conducted on July 14 by Rev. J. M. Brown. The church was dedicated on September 27, 1891, at the close of the 11 o'clock service. In 1949, the building was bricked and annexes were added in 1956 and 1979.
On June 26, 1883, a Good Templers Lodge was organized at the church with about 25 members to promote temperance in the community. Prominent church members have included: Rev. Alpheus Reid Adams (1859-1933), a Methodist preacher of early churches in Barbour and (old) Henry County; Dr. John Fletcher Yarbrough (1864-1950), who was involved in work to eradicate pellagra; Mr. William L. Lee
Erected 2009 by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, S.A. and Gerry Williams, and the Columbia United Methodist Church.
Location. 31° 17.553′ N, 85° 6.582′ W. Marker is in Columbia, Alabama, in Houston County. Marker is at the intersection of East Church Street (Alabama Route 52) and South Davis Street, on the right when traveling east on East Church Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 108 East Church Street, Columbia AL 36319, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Columbia, Alabama (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Columbia Baptist Church (about 800 feet away); Old Columbia Jail / Columbia (approx. 0.2 miles away); Columbia Cemetery (approx. 0.3 miles away); Purcell - Killingsworth House (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Chacato People (approx. 1.2 miles away); Omussee Creek Mound and the Ancestors of the Creeks (approx. Omussee Creek Mound and Mississippian Period Societies (approx. 1.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Columbia.
Categories. • Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers •
More. Search the internet for Columbia Methodist Episcopal Church, South.
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. This page originally submitted on May 2, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 402 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 2, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.