Dothan in Houston County, Alabama — The American South (East South Central)
Headland Presbyterian Church
Organized on July 8, 1897 by the commission of South Alabama Presbytery. From the original seventeen members, J.D. Jones, N. M. McDonald, and I. M. Barton were elected ruling elders and Dr. Charles Sporman, D. R. Redding, and W. R. McDonald were elected deacons. A site on Scott Street, one block south of the square, was donated by Dr. Sporman and a building committee was appointed. $240 was subscribed for building materials from the membership. Around turn-of-the-century, a businessman by the name of Priced moved to Headland and joined the church. He offered to provide most of the labor and materials for the building. (see other side)
The East Alabama Presbytery announced in Montgomery on October 13, 1908 that "By special help from Montgomery First Church and Dothan, the congregation at Headland was encouraged to build and has just completed a lovely church 35 x 35 and owe no man anything except to love one another." The membership declined and on September 18, 1966 the Church was dissolved by the Presbytery. The building was donated to Landmark Park by Mr. Sporman Knowles
Erected 1985 by the Historic Chattahoochee Commission, Houston County Commission, Houston County Centennial Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion.
Location. 31° 17.378′ N, 85° 22.18′ W. Marker is in Dothan, Alabama, in Houston County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Landmark Drive and Reeves Street (U.S. 431). Located inside Landmark Park. This park has entry fees. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 430 Landmark Drive, Dothan AL 36303, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Shelley General Store (within shouting distance of this marker); The Waddell House (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Mallalieu Seminary (approx. 1.6 miles away); Atlantic Coastline Passenger Station (approx. 4.3 miles away); Dothan Dixie Standpipe (approx. 4.3 miles away); First Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); Cherry Street African Methodist Episcopal Church (approx. 4.4 miles away); Henry County Confederate Memorial (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Dothan.
Also see . . .
1. Landmark Park - Dothan, Alabama. (Submitted on May 2, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
2. Landmark Park History. (Submitted on May 2, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 2, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 402 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 2, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.