Sherman in Grayson County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Site of Old Sherman Opera House
Formerly a 3-story Victorian structure with twin cupolas. Built by Capt. L. F. Ely, who made the bricks in his city factory.
Lavish interior had carpeted aisle, damask curtains and red plush seats. Benches in economy section were called the "Buzzard Roost". From its completion (1881) until closing (1918), it helped make Sherman a cultural center. First show was operetta "The Mikado". Also given here were Shakespearean plays, musical reviews, temperance lectures and trained animal acts.
Remodeled (1961) for commercial use. Original bricks remain.
Erected 1969 by State Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 11537.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Entertainment • Man-Made Features • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 38.321′ N, 96° 36.604′ W. Marker is in Sherman, Texas, in Grayson County. Marker is at the intersection of Travis Street and Pecan Street, on the left when traveling north on Travis Street. Touch for map. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Federal Building (United States Courthouse) (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Binkley Hotel (within shouting distance of this marker); Peter W. Grayson (approx. 0.2 miles away); War Memorial (approx. 0.2 miles away); Gold Star Mothers (approx. 0.2 miles away); The First Confederate Monument Erected in Texas (approx. 0.2 miles away); Grayson County (approx. 0.2 miles away); Ninth Texas Cavalry (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Sherman.
Also see . . . History of Sherman, Texas. (Submitted on May 3, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.)
Credits. This page was last revised on November 22, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 3, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania. This page has been viewed 376 times since then and 19 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 3, 2014, by William Fischer, Jr. of Scranton, Pennsylvania.