Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Clarksburg in Harrison County, West Virginia — The American South (Appalachia)
 

Towers School

 
 
Towers School Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Don Morfe
1. Towers School Marker
Inscription.  Built in 1894 and named in honor of Reverend George Towers, graduate of Oxford, England who was a teacher at Randolph Academy. The Academy, authorized by the Virginia Assembly in 1787, stood just to the east and was the principal regional school from 1795 to 1843. The Northwestern Virginia Academy, incorporated by the Virginia Legislature in 1842, occupied this site from 1843-1893.
 
Erected 1980 by West Virginia Department of Culture and History.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. In addition, it is included in the West Virginia Archives and History series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1894.
 
Location. 39° 16.828′ N, 80° 20.256′ W. Marker is in Clarksburg, West Virginia, in Harrison County. Marker is at the intersection of South 2nd Street and West Pike Street (West Virginia Route 20), on the right when traveling north on South 2nd Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Clarksburg WV 26301, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Northwest Academy (here, next to this marker); John S. Carlile (about 500 feet away, measured
Paid Advertisement
Click on the ad for more information.
Please report objectionable advertising to the Editor.
Click or scan to see
this page online
in a direct line); Harrison County Soldiers Monument (about 500 feet away); Clarksburg Convention (about 500 feet away); Palace Furniture Building (about 600 feet away); The Immigrants (about 600 feet away); "Stonewall" Jackson (about 700 feet away); Thomas J. "Stonewall" Jackson Monument (about 700 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Clarksburg.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 3, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 367 times since then and 13 times this year. Photo   1. submitted on August 24, 2012, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=73405

Paid Advertisements
 
 

May. 22, 2022