Stafford in Fort Bend County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Buffalo Bayou, Brazos & Colorado
First Railroad in Texas
H. R. & T. C. did not succeed in building a railroad. Its holdings were transferred in 1847 to Gen. Sidney Sherman, a hero of the Battle of San Jacinto, who was backed by eastern capital and leading Texans -- W. J. Hutchins, Gen. Hugh McLeod, Wm. Marsh Rice (benefactor of Rice University), B. A. Shepherd, James H. Stevens, and John Grant Tod (a former Texas naval officer).
B. F. Terry (destined to lead Terry's Texas Rangers in the Civil War) and W. J. Kyle graded the roadbed. The first locomotive, "General Sherman," arrived 1852.
In August 1853 the tracks extended 20 miles from Harrisburg to Stafford's Point, early Texas center of trade and social life. On Sept. 1, with fanfare, a special train brought a load of honored guests to join planters here for a barbecue-jubilee. Regular schedules were soon in operation. Stafford's Point, end of the line for two years, did much business.
Buffalo Bayou, Brazos
Incise in base: Early Travel, Transportation and Communication Series erected by the Moody Foundation.
Erected 1967 by Texas Historical Survey Committee. (Marker Number 8992.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Railroads & Streetcars. A significant historical month for this entry is September 2001.
Location. 29° 36.876′ N, 95° 33.274′ W. Marker is in Stafford, Texas, in Fort Bend County. Marker is on Alternate U.S. 90A, on the left when traveling east. In front of Stafford City Hall. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Stafford TX 77497, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Stafford Municipal School District (approx. 1.1 miles away); Stafford's Point (approx. 1.8 miles away); Stafford Plantation (approx. 2 miles away); William J. Stafford Cemetery (approx. 2 miles away); Paschal Paolo Borden (approx. 2 miles away); Sugar Land First United Methodist Church (approx. 4 miles away); St. John Missionary Baptist Church (approx. 4.3 miles away); In Honor of Lonnie Green (approx. 4.6 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Stafford.
Also see . . .
1. From the Handbook of Texas. (Submitted on May 4, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
2. From Wikipedia. (Submitted on May 4, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on March 10, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. This page has been viewed 1,561 times since then and 59 times this year. Last updated on May 5, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on March 10, 2010, by Gregory Walker of La Grange, Texas. 3. submitted on May 4, 2014, by Jim Evans of Houston, Texas. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.