Tatum in Lea County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Dallas Cash Grocery
To keep the store stocked CE & sons often traveled 5 days in a wagon drawn by a team of horses – 2 days to Roswell, one day of shopping & 2 days to return.
The original building was purchased from the Robinson Family & moved just off Hwy 380 by Swain Eubank's mule team. Neighbors & travelers alike would stop by to purchase needed supplies and in later years to fill up with gas.
Folks near & far designated the Dallas Mercantile as a gathering place for socializing, sharing bits of gossip & discussing local & national news. Much was learned on a cold, winter day huddled around the pot-bellied stove in the back of the store.
In 1938 the business expanded to a Conoco Station and was eventually closed in 1957.
The original store was donated by Jody & Edith Dallas but due to deterioration & current building codes, the original store was removed; Lea County & the Town of Tatum Revitalization Fund are responsible for building this replica in 2012.
The Gilbarco Gas
The land was donated by Gale & Gloria Blackwell.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Industry & Commerce.
Location. 33° 15.372′ N, 103° 19.121′ W. Marker is in Tatum, New Mexico, in Lea County. Marker is at the intersection of Avenue A and 1st Street, on the left when traveling south on Avenue A. Marker is on the southeast corner. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Tatum NM 88267, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 1 other marker is within 5 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Lea County Cowgirls (approx. 4.1 miles away).
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 6, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 518 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 6, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Syd Whittle was the editor who published this page.