Plains in Yoakum County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
Indian activity and frontier hazards made growth slow. Only itinerant buffalo hunters and scattered ranchers here until after 1900. County organized Sept. 7, 1907. By 1910 population reached 602 as result of sale of state lands. Discovery of oil in 1935 brought industry and more people.
A “Bonus Shack” typical of cabins used by homesteaders is used as a historical museum in Plains, the county seat.
Erected 1965 by State of Texas. (Marker Number 5927.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Texas 1936 Centennial Markers and Monuments series list. A significant historical date for this entry is September 7, 1981.
Location. 33° 11.33′ N, 102° 49.758′ W. Marker is in Plains, Texas, in Yoakum County. Marker is at the intersection of Cowboy Way (U.S. 82/380) and Avenue F, on the left when traveling Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Plains TX 79355, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 3 other markers are within 10 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Quanah Parker Trail (within shouting distance of this marker); Site of Center Point School (approx. 9.1 miles away); Discovery Well in the Wasson Field (approx. 9.7 miles away).
1. Original Location and Inscription
The marker was originally installed in 1936 one mile east of Plains on US 380. The original marker read:
Organized September 21, 1907
Named in honor of
Author of A History of Early
A Soldier in the Mexican War
Plains, the county seat
In 1965 the marker was restored, a new inscription tablet with revised text was placed on the marker, and the marker was moved from its original location to its present location.
(Source: Monuments Erected by the State of Texas to Commemorate the Centenary of Texas Independence. Austin, Texas: Commission of Control for Texas Centennial Celebrations, 1938. Page 194.)
— Submitted July 2, 2016, by Duane Hall of
Credits. This page was last revised on July 2, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 6, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 958 times since then and 87 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4. submitted on May 6, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.