Murray in Shoshone County, Idaho — The American West (Mountains)
Gold was first discovered near the town of Murray in 1882. A.J. Prichard and his partners, Markson, Gellatt and Gerard, had come to the Coeur d’Alenes from Walla Walla, WA. following Mullan’s Military Road. Their prospecting started near Kellogg, ID and progressed to Beaver Cr. While en route they failed to discover the rich placer ground on Trail Cr. Working up Prichard Cr., the men’s tenacity yielded a strike. A.J. Prichard is credited with the area’s first gold discovery, but the actual person and location are unknown.
Before disbanding the partners had sworn to secrecy their discovery. But Prichard informed certain members of the Liberal League and the rush was on. Lured to the area were 5000 miners, prospectors and camp followers during the winter of 1883/84. Advertised for the rich “Diggins”, the pioneer mining camp of Eagle arose over night, but was quickly abandoned in favor of Murray. As the rush for gold around Murray waned, prospecting spread out to the south fork of the Coeur d’Alene River. In 1996 the mining activity shifted to the south side with the discovery of vast silver – lead deposits.
Erected by Idaho Panhandle National Forests, U.S. Department of Agriculture.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Industry & Commerce • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 47° 37.618′ N, 115° 51.439′ W. Marker is in Murray, Idaho, in Shoshone County. Marker is on Pritchard Creek Road 0.1 miles from Kings Pass Road, on the right when traveling west. Prichard Creek road runs east/west through the center of Murray, Idaho, just one block north of Thompson Pass Road, the primary access into Murray. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 6336 Prichard Creek Rd, Idaho, Murray ID 83874, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 12 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Burke (approx. 7.7 miles away); Frisco Mill (approx. 7.9 miles away); Hercules Mill (approx. 10.9 miles away); "The Big Blowup" (approx. 10.9 miles away); a different marker also named "The Big Blowup" (approx. 10.9 miles away); Wallace (approx. 10.9 miles away); Wallace World War Memorial (approx. 11 miles away); Rossi Insurance Building (approx. 11.2 miles away).
More about this marker. It is a large wooden marker with embossed white letters.
Also see . . .
Murray is a small town now - immensely proud of it's heritage, home of the Spragpole Museum-Bar-Cafe (a 'must see' attraction.) Just down the block is the Bedroom Mine Bar; the previous owner wanted to placer mine, and since it was cold out, they knocked a hole in a vacant bedroom floor, dug 30 feet to bedrock and proceeded to mine it, somewhat successfully. Which proves if you want it bad enough, you will find a way. (Submitted on May 7, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
2. The Sprag Pole Inn and Museum.
Walt Almquist purchased the building in 1933 and later remodeled the structure and opened the Sprag Pole Inn, named after the supporting poles once needed to help hold up the wooden walls in hard winters. A friend gave him an old whiskey jug to display behind the bar, and the collection began, or better phrased, exploded. This wasn't hard in an area with such a colorful and important history. With help from brother Harry Almquist, the collectibles needed new space after new space, and the expansions still continue to this day. (Submitted on May 7, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 7, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 396 times since then and 15 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 7, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.