Roswell in Chaves County, New Mexico — The American Mountains (Southwest)
Justice in the Wild West
Before the construction of the elegant courthouse that stands here today, a smaller courthouse constructed in 1890 was home to Roswell’s judicial system. In 1889, prior to construction, Captain Joseph C. Lea, Charles Eddy, and Pat Garrett (the famous former lawman), journeyed to Santa Fe where they petitioned for the creation of two new counties: Chaves (named for Colonel J. Francisco Chaves) and Eddy (named for Charles Eddy). Their petition was approved, and Roswell became the county seat of Chaves. The first county elections were held in 1890; new officials took office and organized the Chaves County government on January 1, 1891. The current courthouse was built in 1911 in celebration of New Mexico’s impending statehood.
Erected by Lawrence C. Harris, the New Mexico Department of Cultural Affairs, and the 2012 Centennial Committee.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 33° 23.824′ N, 104° 31.331′ W. Marker is in Roswell, New Mexico, in Chaves CountyTouch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 446 North Main Street, Roswell NM 88201, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Chaves County Court House (a few steps from this marker); Chaves County Veterans War Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Chaves County Veterans Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Chaves County Gulf War Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); New Mexico Navy Veterans Monument (within shouting distance of this marker); N.M. 200th Coast Artillery AA Regt. (within shouting distance of this marker); Humble Beginnings (within shouting distance of this marker); Roswell Pioneer Plaza (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Roswell.
More about this marker. The marker is engraved metal, mounted on a pedestal, in excellent condition.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study each marker in the order shown.
Also see . . . Chaves County Courthouse.
The Chaves County Courthouse, located on the 400 block of Main Street in Roswell, New Mexico, is the center of government of Chaves County. The courthouse was built in 1911 after Roswell's citizens learned that New Mexico would become a state the next year. (Submitted on May 8, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida.)
Credits. This page was last revised on September 24, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 8, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. This page has been viewed 549 times since then. Photos: 1, 2, 3. submitted on May 8, 2014, by Cosmos Mariner of Cape Canaveral, Florida. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.