Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Morristown in Morris County, New Jersey — The American Northeast (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Campfield House

Circa 1760

 
 
Campfield House Marker image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 14, 2013
1. Campfield House Marker
Inscription.  
Home of Jabez Campfield, where Alexander Hamilton courted Betsy Schuyler in 1780. Her uncle, Surgeon General of the Continental Army, Dr. John Cochran, quartered here.
 
Erected 1976 by Morris County Heritage Commission.
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Notable BuildingsWar, US Revolutionary. In addition, it is included in the New Jersey, Morris County Heritage Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1780.
 
Location. 40° 47.793′ N, 74° 28.37′ W. Marker is in Morristown, New Jersey, in Morris County. Marker is on Olyphant Place, on the right when traveling north. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 5 Olyphant Place, Morristown NJ 07963, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Morristown Spanish American War Memorial (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); George Washington School (approx. 0.2 miles away); Washington’s Headquarters (approx. 0.3 miles away); Morristown World War I Memorial (approx. 0.3 miles away); Washington’s Headquarters Museum
Marker on Olyphant Place image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, April 26, 2008
2. Marker on Olyphant Place
While Alexander Hamilton spent the winter of 1779-80 with Gen. Washington in Ford's Mansion, Dr. John Cochrane, Washington's personal physician stayed here. Hamilton often visited Cochrane's niece, Betsy Schuyler during that time.
Click or scan to see
this page online
(approx. 0.3 miles away); Ford Mansion (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Path to History (approx. 0.3 miles away); Washington (approx. 0.3 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morristown.
 
Also see . . .  Morris County Heritage Commission. Morris County website entry (Submitted on August 1, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.) 
 
Campfield House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, April 26, 2008
3. Campfield House
This house is owned and maintained by the Daughters of the American Revolution.
D.A.R. Plaque image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, April 26, 2008
4. D.A.R. Plaque
This plaque is located on this structure also known as the Schuyler Hamilton House.
Schuyler Hamilton House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, April 26, 2008
5. Schuyler Hamilton House
Campfield House, also known as the Schuyler-Hamilton House, was where Alexander Hamilton and Betsy Schuyler started their romance. After a few months of courting, they were engaged and later married.
Parlor of Campfield House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 14, 2013
6. Parlor of Campfield House
Dining Room in Campfield House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 14, 2013
7. Dining Room in Campfield House
Campfield House Bedroom image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 14, 2013
8. Campfield House Bedroom
Alexander Hamilton Speaks at the Campfield House image. Click for full size.
Photographed By Bill Coughlin, July 14, 2013
9. Alexander Hamilton Speaks at the Campfield House
Alexander Hamilton discusses courting his future wife, Elizabeth Schuyler, in this house during the Celebrate Hamilton 2013 ceremony conducted by the Alexander Hamilton Awareness Society.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on December 8, 2021. It was originally submitted on April 26, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. This page has been viewed 1,331 times since then and 29 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on July 14, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.   2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on April 26, 2008, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey.   6, 7, 8, 9. submitted on July 14, 2013, by Bill Coughlin of Woodland Park, New Jersey. • Craig Swain was the editor who published this page.

Share this page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=7360

CeraNet Cloud Computing sponsors the Historical Marker Database.
Paid Advertisements
 
 

Aug. 11, 2022