Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Slaton in Lubbock County, Texas — The American South (West South Central)
 

Slaton Volunteer Fire Department

 
 
Slaton Volunteer Fire Department Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, April 28, 2014
1. Slaton Volunteer Fire Department Marker
Inscription.  The Santa Fe Railroad established Slaton in 1911. In 1919, residents established a bucket brigade to help fight fires. Alex DeLong served as fire chief of the group, which used chemical tanks and buckets of water drawn from wells to extinguish fires. The following year, the city began work on a water system and fire mains, and in 1922 the city bought its first fire truck. The volunteer fire department grew over the years in manpower and equipment, operating first from City Hall and then from its own fire station beginning in 1928. Today, the firefighters serve Slaton as well as surrounding communities.
 
Erected 2004 by Texas Historical Commission. (Marker Number 13220.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Charity & Public Work. A significant historical year for this entry is 1911.
 
Location. 33° 26.203′ N, 101° 38.544′ W. Marker is in Slaton, Texas, in Lubbock County. Marker is at the intersection of South 8th Street and East Panhadle Avenue, on the left when traveling south on South 8th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 200 South 8th Street, Slaton TX 79364, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other
Slaton Volunteer Fire Department Marker image. Click for full size.
By Bill Kirchner, April 28, 2014
2. Slaton Volunteer Fire Department Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Engine 1809 (within shouting distance of this marker); Slaton (about 600 feet away, measured in a direct line); Slaton Bakery (about 700 feet away); Slaton Harvey House (approx. half a mile away); Mercy Hospital (approx. 0.8 miles away); Englewood Cemetery (approx. 1.2 miles away); Immanuel Lutheran Church (approx. 5 miles away); Ransom Canyon (approx. 6.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Slaton.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 11, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. This page has been viewed 403 times since then and 4 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 11, 2014, by Bill Kirchner of Tucson, Arizona. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=73609

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 18, 2021