Douglas in Allegan County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
The Old School House
History Center and Back-in-Time Garden
The School House opened its doors in 1867, replacing a one-room school nearby. Known then as the Douglas Union School and part of a new public school consolidation movement in Michigan, the school offered classes at all grades—pioneering in free high school education. The building served as a principal place for village activities and was designed to be the most impressive building in the village. Today it is the oldest remaining union school building in Michigan; it ceased to be a school in 1957.
Today, the structure stands as one of Michigan’s finest examples of Civil War era school architecture and, once again, a place for activity and discovery. Along with new gardens, the building was restored by the Saugatuck-Douglas Historical Society (2006-12) as a place for the study, presentation, exhibition, and preservation of Saugatuck and Douglas area history.
Erected by Saugatuck-Douglas Historical Society.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Education. A significant historical year for this entry is 1867.
Location. 42° 38.63′ Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 130 W Center Street, Douglas MI 49406, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Douglas Union School (a few steps from this marker); Welcome to Historic Douglas (within shouting distance of this marker); Francis Metallic Surfboat (within shouting distance of this marker); Dr. Asa Goodrich House (within shouting distance of this marker); Mt. Baldhead (within shouting distance of this marker); Dutcher Lodge No. 193 / Douglas (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Sarah M. Kirby House (approx. 0.2 miles away); New Singapore (approx. ¼ mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Douglas.
Credits. This page was last revised on October 16, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 12, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 461 times since then and 20 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 12, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.