Near Holland in Allegan County, Michigan — The American Midwest (Great Lakes)
Graafschap Christian Reformed Church
Erected in 1862, this church was the center of the Dutch immigrant community. The first settlers in this area arrived in early 1847 led by the Reverend Albertus C. V. Raalte. In June of that year a separate group of seventy people from Graafschap Betheim, near the Dutch border, founded this village which they named Graafschap. Joined by thirty-four other immigrants from Drente, the Netherlands, the villagers shared common religious views and spoke similar dialects. Before erecting a log church in 1849 near this site, these early settlers attended services conducted by Van Raalte in nearby Holland. Graafschap followed Van Raalte's example by affiliating with the Reformed Church in America in 1850. Seven years later the congregation severed that tie and reasserted its independence.
Those who established this church were among thousands of Europeans who sought to escape religious and political persecution and economic depression by emigrating to America in the 1840s. Later Graafschap was one of the founding members of the Christian Reformed Church which bound itself closely to Dutch
(Inset on Side Two)
The main structure of the 1862 church was rebuilt in 2000 using the original beams to construct the Heritage Center.
Erected 1977 by Michigan History Division, Department of State. (Marker Number L483.)
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & Religion • Settlements & Settlers. In addition, it is included in the Michigan Historical Commission series list. A significant historical year for this entry is 1862.
Location. 42° 45.148′ N, 86° 7.983′ W. Marker is near Holland, Michigan, in Allegan County. Marker is on Church Street, 0.1 miles south of 146th Avenue, on the left when traveling south. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 621 Church Street, Holland MI 49423, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 3 miles of this The First Pioneers of Graafschap (here, next to this marker); Grace Episcopal Church / Grace Episcopal Church Buildings (approx. 2 miles away); Laketown Township Hall (approx. 2.4 miles away); Third Reformed Church (approx. 2.6 miles away); The Cappon House / Isaac Cappon (approx. 2.7 miles away); Hope Church (approx. 2.7 miles away); The Netherlands Museum (approx. 2.7 miles away); Dutch in Michigan (approx. 2.7 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Holland.
Also see . . . Graafschap Heritage Center. City website entry (Submitted on May 13, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on March 31, 2022. It was originally submitted on May 13, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas. This page has been viewed 640 times since then and 57 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 13, 2014, by Duane Hall of Abilene, Texas.