New Ulm in Brown County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
Petronella Keller Adam(s) was born June 15, 1815 in Rhine, Prussia. Apparently she and Christian were married circa 1837 in Prussia where their first two children, Margaretha and John, were born. The family is listed in the 1850 census as living in Theresa, Dodge County, Wisconsin where children Francis and Anton were born.
On July 6, 1855 Christian bought 36 acres along the north bank of the Cottonwood River, about 500 yards upstream from this point, from the Chicago Land Company for $300. The property is currently the site of the Junior Pioneer Park and commercial businesses along Broadway Street. Their fifth and last child, Anna Mary, was born here.
Christian’s intent was to build a flour and grinding mill, using water power from a dam to be built across the river. In the spring of 1856 Christian and his teamsters arrived on the south bank of the river with 5 teams of horses transporting machinery from
Petronella remarried March 17, 1857. The ceremony was performed by Justice of the Peace, 2nd Precinct, Wilhelm Pfaender. It is recorded as marriage No. 1 in Brown County. Petronella died December 22, 1896 and is buried in the Catholic Cemetery in Springfield, Minnesota.
This Park is named and dedicated to the Adam(s) Family and all the intrepid pioneers of New Ulm and Brown County.
Erected 2010 by George L. Glotzbach.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Settlements & Settlers. A significant historical date for this entry is March 17, 1875.
Location. 44° 17.337′ N, 94° 26.396′ W. Marker is in New Ulm, Minnesota, in Brown County. Marker is on Cottonwood Street, 0.2 miles west of South Broadway Street (Minnesota Highway 15 / 68), on the right when traveling west. Marker is west of the Cottonwood River at Adams Park / Cottonwood River Beach. Touch for mapTouch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 2 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Junior Pioneers of New Ulm and Vicinity (approx. 0.3 miles away); The Wallachei (approx. half a mile away); 2011 Centennial of The Church of St. Mary (approx. 1.4 miles away); Father Valentine Sommereisen (approx. 1½ miles away); Turner Hall (approx. 1.8 miles away); Flandrau's Charge (approx. 1.8 miles away); Gänseviertel (Goosetown) (approx. 1.8 miles away); Brown County Veterans Memorial (approx. 1.9 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Ulm.
Also see . . .
1. Expanded New Ulm park is ode to kin. (Submitted on May 16, 2014.)
2. Adams Park Dedicated. (Submitted on May 16, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on June 16, 2016. It was originally submitted on May 16, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 532 times since then and 28 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 16, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.