Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Woodstock in Shenandoah County, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Shenandoah County Courthouse

 
 
Shenandoah County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Devry Becker Jones, October 23, 2020
1. Shenandoah County Courthouse Marker
Inscription.  Shenandoah County's native limestone courthouse was built in 1795 with brick additions in 1871 and 1886. In 1927, portico and columns were added giving the Federal Styled building a Greek revival front. It is the oldest courthouse in continuous use west of the Blue Ridge Mountains.
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Notable Buildings.
 
Location. 38° 52.935′ N, 78° 30.314′ W. Marker is in Woodstock, Virginia, in Shenandoah County. Marker can be reached from the intersection of North Main Street (U.S. 11) and West Court Street, on the left when traveling north. Marker is embedded in the brick walkway (Lawyer's Row) just north of the Courthouse. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 103 North Main Street, Woodstock VA 22664, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Shenandoah County Jail (here, next to this marker); Edinburg (here, next to this marker); New Market (here, next to this marker); Town of Strasburg (a few steps from this marker); Woodstock (a few steps from this marker); Town of Woodstock
Shenandoah County Courthouse Marker image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 12, 2014
2. Shenandoah County Courthouse Marker
(a few steps from this marker); Town of Edinburg (a few steps from this marker); John Peter Gabriel Muhlenberg (a few steps from this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Woodstock.
 
Also see . . .  Shenandoah County Courthouse. (PDF) National Register Nomination Form, 1973 (Submitted on May 17, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland.) 
 
Shenandoah County Courthouse image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 12, 2014
3. Shenandoah County Courthouse
Courthouse Weathervane image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 12, 2014
4. Courthouse Weathervane
Courthouse Doorknob image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 12, 2014
5. Courthouse Doorknob
Shenandoah County Courthouse Significant Dates<br>(In the Courthouse Window) image. Click for full size.
By Allen C. Browne, May 12, 2014
6. Shenandoah County Courthouse Significant Dates
(In the Courthouse Window)
1752 - Jacob Miller receives grant from Lord Fairfax for the land that becomes Woodstock
1761 - George Washington introduces a bill passed by the Virginia legislature chartering the town of Woodstock.
1772 - Dunmore County formed from Frederick County.
1772 - First court held at Fadely home on Back Street (now Church Street). House no longer standing.
1774 - Jonathan Landon's log house moved to courthouse lot and used as county courthouse. Building no longer standing.
1777 - Dunmore County named Shenandoah County.
1795 - The court orders a new stone courthouse to be built - cornerstone laid.
1809 - Courthouse bell was added.
1862 - In late March Confederates from Chew's Battery used the courthouse for shelter going to Kernstown, Virginia. Stonewall Jackson is headquartered on Lawyer's Row on night during the retreat from Kernstown.
1871 - A brick addition containing a new courtroom is added to the stone courthouse.
1886 - A second brick addition is built to serve as the clerk of court's office
Late 19th Century - Some of the remaining chairs in the courthouse are from the Samuel Wagner shop in Maurertown, Virginia.
1927 - Portico and columns are added to the stone courthouse
1977 - New brick courthouse across Court Street opens
Prepared by John Adamson, Shenandoah County Historical Society, 2005
.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on October 23, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 17, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. This page has been viewed 466 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos:   1. submitted on October 23, 2020, by Devry Becker Jones of Washington, District of Columbia.   2, 3, 4, 5, 6. submitted on May 17, 2014, by Allen C. Browne of Silver Spring, Maryland. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Mar. 2, 2021