Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
Phoebus in Hampton, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
 

Second Church at Kecoughtan

 
 
Second Church at Kecoughtan Marker image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, May 15, 2014
1. Second Church at Kecoughtan Marker
Inscription.  Nearby a monument marks the site of the second church at Kecoughtan (later Hampton), built in 1624 for Elizabeth City Parish, established 1610 and now the oldest Protestant parish in continuous existence in America. This building was replaced before 1667 by a third parish church west of the town and was pulled down in 1698.
 
Erected 1950 by Virginia Conservation Commission. (Marker Number WY-89.)
 
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Churches & ReligionSettlements & Settlers. A significant historical year for this entry is 1624.
 
Location. 37° 1.385′ N, 76° 20.076′ W. Marker is in Phoebus in Hampton, Virginia. Marker is on East Tyler Street 0.2 miles south of Settlers Landing Road (U.S. 60), on the right when traveling south. The marker is located on the grounds of Hampton University, in front of the University Health Center. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 55 East Tyler Street, Hampton VA 23668, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. This Wall (within shouting distance of this marker); Second Church at Kecoughton (within shouting distance of this
Wide view of the Second Church at Kecoughtan Marker image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, May 15, 2014
2. Wide view of the Second Church at Kecoughtan Marker
Click or scan to see
this page online
marker); First Church at Kecoughtan (within shouting distance of this marker); "The Springe of Sweete Water" (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Phenix Hall (about 400 feet away); The Hampton Indian Program (approx. 0.2 miles away); The Ultimate Sacrifice (approx. 0.2 miles away); Hampton National Cemetery (approx. 0.2 miles away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Phoebus.
 
Regarding Second Church at Kecoughtan. The site of the church, owned by the St. John's Episcopal Church, is located behind the University Health Center.
 
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker. To better understand the relationship, study the First Church at Kecoughtan marker shown.
 
Also see . . .  St. John's Episcopal Church, Hampton, VA: Our History. (Submitted on May 17, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.)
 
Site of the Second Church at Kecoughtan image. Click for full size.
By PaulwC3, May 15, 2014
3. Site of the Second Church at Kecoughtan
The monument marks the site of the sanctuary, with red stakes marking the perimeter of the church.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on July 11, 2018. It was originally submitted on May 17, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia. This page has been viewed 921 times since then and 24 times this year. Photos:   1, 2, 3. submitted on May 17, 2014, by PaulwC3 of Northern, Virginia.

Share This Page.  
Share on Tumblr
m=73777

Paid Advertisement
Apr. 17, 2021