Marker Logo HMdb.org THE HISTORICAL
MARKER DATABASE
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”
“Bite-Size Bits of Local, National, and Global History”

Morehead in Rowan County, Kentucky — The American South (East South Central)
 

Moonlight Schools

 
 
Moonlight Schools Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 15, 2014
1. Moonlight Schools Marker
Inscription.  Established in Rowan County, Ky., in 1911, by Mrs. Cora W. Stewart, “to emancipate from illiteracy those enslaved in its bondage.” Because the people had to labor by day it was decided to have the schools on moonlight nights so the moon could light the way. The schools were taught by volunteer teachers. Movement soon spread nationally and internationally.
 
Erected 1967 by Kentucky Historical Society-Kentucky Department of Highways. (Marker Number 1034.)
 
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African AmericansEducation. In addition, it is included in the Kentucky Historical Society series list.
 
Location. 38° 10.998′ N, 83° 25.95′ W. Marker is in Morehead, Kentucky, in Rowan County. Marker is on East 1st Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: Morehead KY 40351, United States of America. Touch for directions.
 
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Spirit of the American Doughboy (about 300 feet away, measured in a direct line); Rowan County War Memorial (about 400 feet away); Rowan County "War," 1884-1887
Moonlight Schools Marker image. Click for full size.
By Don Morfe, April 15, 2014
2. Moonlight Schools Marker
(about 400 feet away); Freedom Park (about 500 feet away); Courthouse Burned (about 500 feet away); Quilting Memories (about 500 feet away); Allie Young Law Office (about 500 feet away); Colonel John Hargis (about 500 feet away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Morehead.
 
 
Credits. This page was last revised on January 10, 2021. It was originally submitted on May 18, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. This page has been viewed 322 times since then and 7 times this year. Photos:   1, 2. submitted on May 18, 2014, by Don Morfe of Baltimore, Maryland. • Bill Pfingsten was the editor who published this page.
Paid Advertisement
Feb. 25, 2021