Baker in Okaloosa County, Florida — The American South (South Atlantic)
Baker High School
The Town of Baker, a stop on the Florida, Alabama and Gulf Railroad, was platted in 1910 and grew up around the timber and turpentine industries. The site of the original Baker High School was owned by J.W. and Mollie McCart who sold the property to the Santa Rosa County Board of Public Instruction in 1914. Construction of the school, a two-story brick building with a basement, began in 1915, and opened for classes in January 1916. The school was heated by a wood stove, and students drank from an outdoor, hand-pumped well. The school was known as the Baker School, and operated as an elementary and junior high school until 1923, when a growing population that it admit high school students. It was renamed the Baker High School that year and became the first accredited high school in Okaloosa County. In 1924, Baker High School graduated its first class with three students. In 1927, a new high school was completed across Jefferson Street in front of the old Baker High School. That building burned in 1953. The school's gymnasium was built in 1958. New classrooms and a football stadium were added in 1970. The original Baker High School was renovated
A Florida Heritage Site
Erected 2013 by the Baker High Alumni and the Florida Department of State. (Marker Number F-801.)
Topics. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: Education • Settlements & Settlers.
Location. 30° 47.591′ N, 86° 40.772′ W. Marker is in Baker, Florida, in Okaloosa County. Marker is on 14th Street 0.1 miles east of Madison Street, on the right when traveling east. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 1369 14th Street, Baker FL 32531, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within 7 miles of this marker, measured as the crow flies. Old Bethel Cemetery (approx. 4.6 miles away); Concord Lodge No. 50 F & AM (approx. 6.7 miles away); Okaloosa County (approx. 6.7 miles away); a different marker also named Okaloosa County (approx. 6.8 miles away); Okaloosa County Veterans Memorial (approx. 6.8 miles away); Crestview Lodge #364 F&AM PHA (approx. 7 miles away); Bush House (approx. 7 miles away); Carver-Hill H.S. (approx. 7.1 miles away).
Also see . . . Baker High School website. (Submitted on May 25, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 28, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 25, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. This page has been viewed 447 times since then and 5 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 25, 2014, by Mark Hilton of Montgomery, Alabama. • Bernard Fisher was the editor who published this page.