New Ulm in Brown County, Minnesota — The American Midwest (Upper Plains)
2011 Centennial of The Church of St. Mary
The Church of St. Mary was incorporated on September 26, 1911 by Archbishop John Ireland of St. Paul. The Parish included Catholics living south of Center Street in New Ulm, plus Cottonwood and Courtland Townships. Because of difficult economic times during World War I, "southsiders" attended their Mother Church, Holy Trinity, until 1923. September 1, 1921, Archbishop Austin Dowling appointed Fr. Anthony Losleben as the first pastor. St. Mary's first church/school (pictured above) and convent were dedicated February 2, 1923. At that time there were 300 households and 1,300 members.
By 1968 there were over 700 households with 2,500 members. The old Washington School nearby was acquired and demolished to build a new church. The first Mass in the new St. Mary's was offered on Palm Sunday, March 27, 1971. In 1999 an administrative addition was blessed by Bishop Raymond Lucker of the Diocese of New Ulm, and a new rectory constructed at 416 South German Street. In late 2004 the former church/school and convent were razed. In 2006 St. Mary's became part of the five-parish Holy Cross Area Faith Community. The current church and sanctuary
(Continued from other side)
St. Mary's Elementary School opened in 1923 with 225 pupils in 8 grades. Enrollment peaked in 1967 at 377. The Sisters of Christian Charity served the school from 1923 to 1987. They wore long, flowing black habits with big white bows under their chins, and had mysterious names such as Sister Secundilla, Expedita, and Euphebia. In 1969 the school joined the Central Catholic School System, and in 1983 became part of the New Ulm Area Catholic Schools. When the school closed in 1999 there were 177 students in grades K to 4 who transferred to the new St. Anthony Elementary School. During its 76 years St. Mary's School educated over 2,400 students.
Over the course of the last 100 years St. Mary's has celebrated 4,340 Baptisms, 2,798 First Communions, 3,210 Confirmations, 1,515 Marriages, and 1,847 Funerals. In accord with demographic trends in southern Minnesota, the Parish now numbers 1,125 households and 2,500 members.
Building on its strong history of faith, the Church of St. Mary looks forward with great promise and enthusiasm to carrying the faith into its second century.
historic research and rendering of text for this centennial memorial plaque.
September 26, 2011
Erected 2011 by the Church of St. Mary.
Topics. This historical marker is listed in this topic list: Churches & Religion. A significant historical date for this entry is February 2, 1875.
Location. 44° 18.455′ N, 94° 27.199′ W. Marker is in New Ulm, Minnesota, in Brown County. Marker is at the intersection of South Minnesota Street and 6th South Street on South Minnesota Street. Touch for map. Marker is in this post office area: New Ulm MN 56073, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Flandrau's Charge (approx. 0.4 miles away); Turner Hall (approx. 0.4 miles away); Gänseviertel (Goosetown) (approx. half a mile away); Brown County Veterans Memorial (approx. half a mile away); City Meat Market (approx. half a mile away); The George Kuhlman House (approx. half a mile away); Lest We Forget (approx. half a mile away); Roebbecke Mill (approx. half a mile away). Touch for a list and map of all markers in New Ulm.
Also see . . . St. Mary’s Centennial celebration begins Sunday, Oct. 9. The Journal. (Submitted on May 28, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on October 21, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin. This page has been viewed 518 times since then and 25 times this year. Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5. submitted on May 28, 2014, by Keith L of Wisconsin Rapids, Wisconsin.