Tinbridge Hill in Lynchburg, Virginia — The American South (Mid-Atlantic)
Professor Frank Trigg
In 1881 Trigg was appointed one of the first Negro teachers in the Lynchburg Public School system, serving 22 years and becoming the first Negro supervisor of Negro schools.
Other highlights of his professional career include:
• Principal of Morgan College Annex, Fairview Heights, Lynchburg (which was predecessor of Morgan State College in Baltimore).
• Principal of Princess Anne Academy in Baltimore (1902-1910) (which became Maryland State, then the University of Maryland Eastern Shore). Trigg
• Principle of Virginia Collegiate and Industrial Institute, Lynchburg (1910-1916).
• President of Bennett College, Greensboro, N.C. (1917-1926).
After retiring at age 76, Frank and Ellen Trigg returned to Lynchburg to make their home at 1422 Prince Street. The Trigg family monument is on the bluff straight ahead near the fence.
Archives of the Library at the University of Maryland Eastern Shore
Topics and series. This historical marker is listed in these topic lists: African Americans • Cemeteries & Burial Sites • Education. In addition, it is included in the Historically Black Colleges and Universities 🎓 series list.
Location. 37° 24.942′ N, 79° 9.408′ W. Marker is in Tinbridge Hill in Lynchburg, Virginia. Marker can be reached from the intersection of Taylor Street and 4th Street. Touch for map. Marker is at or near this postal address: 401 Taylor Street, Lynchburg VA 24501, United States of America. Touch for directions.
Other nearby markers. At least 8 other markers are within walking distance of this marker. Court Street Baptist Church Tragedy (here, next to this marker); Virginia Theological Seminary and College (here, next to this marker); Removal of Federal Dead (a few steps from this marker); The Confederate Memorial Arch (a few steps from this marker); Lucy Mina Otey and the Ladie’s Relief Hospital (within shouting distance of this marker); Women of Lynchburg's Confederate Hospitals (within shouting distance of this marker); Confederate Smallpox Memorial (within shouting distance of this marker); Crippled Corps and V.M.I. Cadets Form Inner Defenses in Old City Cemetery (within shouting distance of this marker). Touch for a list and map of all markers in Tinbridge Hill.
Related marker. Click here for another marker that is related to this marker.
Also see . . . Old City Cemetery. The oldest public cemetery in Virginia still in use today - central Virginia's most unique public garden. (Submitted on May 28, 2014.)
Credits. This page was last revised on April 17, 2020. It was originally submitted on May 28, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia. This page has been viewed 644 times since then and 2 times this year. Photos: 1, 2. submitted on May 28, 2014, by Bernard Fisher of Richmond, Virginia.
Editor’s want-list for this marker. Picture of the Trigg family monument. • Can you help?